Saturday, April 11, 2020

Make America Great


"Make America Great" and "MAG Again" Reflection
Repost from my other spot
"Sorry about the delays. More glues ordered, clamps ordered, but the need is too great out there for masks. Sewing endlessly these days, and the heroes for the day would be a Pakistani made scissors, an old American made Weiss scissors, old Singer machine and a young Made in China Singer 5542, lots of materials, Fabrics made else where, Made in China, Made in America baby wipes, and an old sewing skill acquired during 1987. 1987 was a bad year for me as an apprentice for sewing. Back then, it was a low paying job, sweat shop condition in Downsview, ONT.
I have been thinking a lot these days as I sew. I saw people with good fancy cars, and they have ordered their masks from China, but they have to wait, and no one seems to know how to sew. Mmmm.... fancy cars, good paying jobs and perhaps the good life, and SARS CoV-2 equalizes all those class differences. The only thing that stood in the way, was a low paying, manufacturing sewing machine operator that is missing. I was briefed by my late father that it was a survival thing for my family, so I learnt to sew. Most of us have better things to do, and this job was for those whom we called "FOB" (fresh off boat), and those who got here first, wanted them out because there are just too many of them, I read it yesterday in my friend's post. Here I thought, FOBs would save the day, make these masks, harvest (no able to now, walls are too high./Mexicans cannot work) produce and clean peoples houses. I have always known that I am a simple, lowly paid sewing machine operator. My skills make America Great and Great again

No comments:

Post a Comment